My buddy, Kait, tagged me in this ten question meme about my current work in progress. Normally, I never have answers for these things, but for this one, I had stuff to say!
- What is the title of your book? Don’t have one yet. I’ll probably take suggestions from my buddies when I finish writing it because I SUCK at titles.
- Where did the idea come from for the book? I had this idea for a vampire hunter who wasn’t hunting because of a mystical calling or a burning desire to vanquish evil. He does it because the money’s good. Not really the kind of guy you’d want to root for, but it got the wheels turning and I figured out why he was really hunting. It’s mighty heroic.
- What genre does your book fall under? Paranormal post-apocalyptic.
- What is a one-sentence synopsis of the book? Public opinion on vampire hunting is at an all time low and if the government’s best hunter wants to keep his job, he’ll have to let a reality TV host into his world.
- Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? Never thought of characters as specific actors, but here’s who has inspired my main guys:
- Deputy U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens for my vampire hunter. I’ve always liked the virtuous hero who, while aware of the time he’s in, has a moral compass from the wild west. He saves the day, but will no doubt ruffle some straight edge’s feathers.
- Ryan Seacrest for my reality TV host. His look, from top to bottom, is flawless and every word uttered is pitch perfect as if he spends serious mirror time rehearsing. He’s also got an enthusiastic persona that’s endeared him to the public. He’s America’s sweetheart.
- Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? This will be my debut, so I plan to self-pub and use it to start building my street cred.
- How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript? I’m still writing and it’s slow going. I’d like to be done early next year, but I haven’t given myself a specific deadline.
- What other books would you compare this story to in your genre? I’m not well read in the post-apocalyptic genre, but I am modeling my hero to be in the same league as Jack Reacher, Pendergast and Harry Dresden. So, hopefully, if you like any of those guys, you’ll like mine just as much.
- Who or what inspired you to write this book? Me. I inspired me. I damn inspiring.
- What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? Everything I’ve typed for this question sounded like a sales pitch, so I’ll just tell you why I’m excited to write this:
- There’s a theme emerging the more I write, about the person we see ourselves as vs. the person the world sees and how we deal with that.
- It’s been fun creating my own mythology for vampires and seeing the emotional potential it has.
- The prevailing sexy vampires in love/love triangle thing is not in this book. Plenty of writers have gone there already and I just don’t have anything fresh to add. BUT, the romantic direction I’m going in is something I’d like to see more of, but since I’m not, I’m writing it myself.
I’m sure I’m supposed to tag people, but I’d rather let YOU decide if you want to play. So, if you like these questions, go for it!